Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Grade Adhesive to Patch Plumbing Part

Posted by shw001 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 14:57

I have an under-sink water filter that has sprung a tiny pin-hole leake in the side of the filter housing (not in any tubing or connections). Many different adhesives would probably work, but I do not know which are safe for drinking water.

The filter housing is plastic (feels and looks like PVC).

Anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Grade Adhesive to Patch Plumbing Part

Try regular old PVC pipe cement.

It is used on both drains and supply lines.

At the very least you will need a decent size patch.
Patching from the inside would be better.

A new filter housing would be best of all.
They are usually available as a part.

o

Thanks Brick,
I just checked and the housing is only $35 at the orange box.
Out of curiosity, would PVC cement actually melt/fuse the PVC material together? And would this withstand the standard residential water pressure. Are pin hole leaks in PVC common?

o

Pin hole leaks in PVC are usually due to defects in the item.

PVC 'cement' is a mix of solvents that dissolve the surface of the two pieces so that they really become a single piece of PVC.

The problem is that it takes a decent amount of surface area solvent welded together to have enough strength to resist the water pressure.
That is why there is a bell in the normal joint to create enough overlap.

If you tried to but cement PVC lines together the joint would not be very strong, and would not resist supply pressure.
It might last a while on a drain fitting, until the line clogs and a lot of water rises above the joint.
27 inches of water is about 1 PSI of pressure at the bottom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here