Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got a quote to clear outdoor, in-ground drains. Is this right?

Posted by desertmarc (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 14:20

We have drains under a concrete patio that lead under ground through the yard and out to the street. Maybe 70 feet. Lots of trees and ivy along the way, so I'm sure the roots have invaded. The house in So. Cal. was built in the 1960's.

I was just quoted (over the phone) that it is a two man job, and the cost will be $150.00 per hour, and it could be a 3-4 hour job.

2-man job? $150.00 per hour? 3-4 hours? I feel all of these charges seem out of line. The company has good ratings on the BBB website, but the pricing, number of men and # of hours seem too high.

Am I wrong? I appreciate any feedback.

The company

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got a quote to clear outdoor, in-ground drains. Is this righ

That's not at all a high rate charge for getting a plumber to do this. If this is a landscape drain, not a home drain, call a landscape company. If this is a solid pipe, then it should not have any root penetrations unless the pipe itself is damaged. Roots don't force themselves through plastic. If this is a home drain that is damaged, then it should be replaced or lined, not band-aided with a clean out.

o
RE: Got a quote to clear outdoor, in-ground drains. Is this righ

When you say So. Cal. do you mean Palos Verdes, or North Edwards? (It makes a huge difference)

"2-man job? $150.00 per hour? 3-4 hours? I feel all of these charges seem out of line. The company has good ratings on the BBB website, but the pricing, number of men and # of hours seem too high."

You seem too high. What have you been toking down there?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here