Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best water filter?

Posted by LMRinc (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 14:07

We bought a house with a well and they had a kenmore water softner but it was not functioning and completely dried up.

We bought an Aquasauna Rhino water filter for city water in our old house and it was great! It filtered out that horrid chlorine smell and a good amount of floride and other junk.

The well water was tested and didn't seem to have that much iron in it and no contaminants. I know there's always something in well water, so I just want water that won't dry my skin out or make me sick.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best water filter?

Can you post your water test results?

In order to get a filter recommendation, you need to know exactly what you want to remove. (BTW, the aquasauna you had should not have removed fluoride - the media it contains is not capable)

For drinking water, the only home water treatment that removes pretty much everything is RO (reverse osmosis). You can purchase a small unit that installs under your sink or in a utility room.

For the rest of the house, if you are concerned about hardness, you need a softener. If you are concerned about VOC's you'll want a carbon filter. There are lots of different things you may want to remove from your water and just as many solutions. You'll have to be more specific.

o

I want to remove VOC's first and then treat the hardness.

o

In that case, you most likely need a carbon filter followed by a softener. In order to verify that this is the correct course of treatment and size equipment properly, you will need some analysis. You need a certified lab to test for:

TDS, pH, total hardness, Iron, manganese, alkalinity, VOCs

Additonally, the following information is needed:

1. Number of people in your home. Any plans for this number to change in the next few years?
  2. # of bathrooms
  3. Any high-water-use fixtures, such as a multi-head shower or jetted tub?
  4. Flow rate your well can generate. Best way to get this is to open an outside spigot fully and time how long it takes to fill a bucket of known volume. Repeat several times to get an average.

o

And keep in mind that the water lab will only see what it looks for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here