Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
userbob

Tub Drain Vent

userbob
11 years ago

I am having a tough time coming up with a solution to vent my drain for a pier-style tub. Below is my planned layout for my master bathroom remodel. This drawing is to scale. It is about 10' wide (left-right) by 14' long (up-down).

This is on the main floor of the house. The joists below run horizontally. I don't know how I can do a p-trap and then a vent line with this setup. I was thinking about having a vent line go up inside the custom cabinet at the foot of the tub, but I'm not sure if there will be room. The tub drain will be about 9' from the wall on the left that currently has a lot of plumbing in it (this is a shared wall with another bathroom).

Any other ideas? I can help clear up things if needed as well.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (2)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Add some proposed DWV lines to the drawing.

• userbob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here you go. The red lines are the drain lines for the water and the blue circles and lines are the vent lines. Remember, there are already vent and drain lines on the left side of this drawing as that wall contains plumbing for a bathroom on the other side of that wall.

I put question marks next to the three options I see that are available to me to vent the tub. The ? in the custom cabinet and the ? below that one (inside a wall adjoining the bedroom) are the two I'm not sure how to do exactly. The joists run left-right and I would have to go below the joists with my vent line to get to that wall before I can run upward to the attic. The vent in the custom cabinet might not have to go under the joists since I can make space above the floor for the piping.

By far the easiest solution would be to use the vent on the left of the drawing, but that is 9' away and that, I'm guessing, is a big no-no.

Are there any options or ideas I'm missing? BTW, I'm in Illinois. No AAV's allowed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout with plumbing