Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seosmp_gw

Deck-mounted pot-filler - behind cooktop

seosmp
10 years ago

Hi,

I'm starting my kitchen remodel very soon here and trying to finalize on the cooktop cabinet.

As far as I understand, I have to go with a deck-mounted pot-filler since the cooktop is on an outside wall and I live in a cold climate (below 0 temps), so cannot go with wall-mounted.

My cooktop is 36" wide and 21" deep, in a 36" cabinet (depth is flexible). The cabinet will be pulled out 3" with a 1" counter overhang (approx).

How much room do I need behind the cooktop to run the plumbing for the pot-filler? The faucet base is 2 1/4". Should this run in the cabinet, or behind the cabinet, or does it matter? Any issue with this approach?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comments (10)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

If you do a deck mounted pot filler, you do NOT want to mount it behind the cooktop. It goes adjacent to the cooktop at one side. And if you're going to go to all of the trouble and expense of doing that, you might as well add the small prep sink so that you can have a drain also. Then you can just use a pull out faucet to act as a pot filler and rinse off your dirty spoons too.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for replying.

Is the pot-filler behind the cooktop a design issue, or a plumbing issue, or ?? Why do I not want it there? I kind of looked at it similar to the wall-mount, just forward a couple inches.

My kitchen layout does not warrant a prep sink, thus I have no plans to put one in.

If I mount it on the side, it will need to go in the back of the adjacent 3 drawer base cabinet. The cabinetmaker indicated there would not really be room back there. I also don't want to make the cooktop cabinet wider, if possible, since that would take away from the adjacent drawer base cabinets.

• User
    10 years ago

The problem with mounting the pot filler behind the cooktop is that it requires you to reach over potentially hot pots and pans to turn it on and off, presenting a safety concern. The issue is exacerbated with a deck-mounted pot filler because the handle is lower, placing your arm closer to the heat.

I understand the desire for a pot filler. I would just like to ensure that you have considered the potential issues a faucet without a drain may present. The possibility of water damage to your beautiful new kitchen is fairly high. Faucets leak and drip - where will that water go?

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

[Duplicate post]

This post was edited by seosmp on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 18:15

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Running plumbing inside an interior wall is not a problem when insulated properly. We have our supply lines to the kitchen running inside an exterior wall here in Ontario, it gets cold and only had a pipe freeze on that wall and that was on the inside of cabinet. I missed a spot.

I worked in commercial kitchens, that's where a pot filler belongs unless you don't care about water everywhere, I have seen much damage done to the commercial stoves because of drips and overfilling. The reason they are there because often it can be several feet from sink to oven in a restaurant, floors are slippery and slips were a problem with the wet floors. In commercial kitchens floors get wet, any everything else. I know it looks good but they are not for a residential kitchen, to those that worked in restaurants they actually look silly and pretentious. In fact I eventually cut and capped the line and told the chef to get his crew to walk the 5 feet with a pot of water because in our kitchen it didn't serve the original purpose of a pot filler. Think about how many times you have put a big pot in the sink and stood there watching it fill, never I bet. You are going to stand there watching a pot fill while you could be doing something else, especially with a residential plumbing system. Put a large pot in the sink and fill it, stand there and watch it. Then decide if that's what you want to do with your time. You don't need it unless you have a disability, then it serves a purpose.

This post was edited by SouthernCanuck on Thu, May 2, 13 at 3:11

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Unless one is going to boil off all the water in the pot, one will have to carry to pot of steaming hot liquid to the sink (to drain pasta), or to the table (to serve soup). I would hate to fill a pot on the stove that I was unable to lift when it was hot. It is much easier to carry a pot of cold water than hot.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was actually just looking for information about the plumbing aspect of the pot-filler. I've already read the various threads about the pros and cons of pot-fillers in general, so wasn't really looking to re-hash that.

• User
    10 years ago

A deck mounted pot filler goes in the cabinet adjacent to the cooktop cabinet. Not in the cooktop cabinet. Or you fir out the wall to extra depth and do a wall mounted one.

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Sorry I mis typed, should have said running plumbing in an EXTERIOR wall is never a problem when done correctly.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH