Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystiky

Using a Garbage Crusher in the Sink question?

mystiky
13 years ago

I live in a 1930's brick house in Brooklyn. Luckily, the sewer system from my house to the city sewer line (75 feet long) is in good condition. However, the sewer portion (trap) that runs from the back of my house to the front (and later connecting in the main trap to the 75-foot section) has had blockage happen two times during the last 20 months, causing the cellar's toilet to overflow and flooding into the basement. The last event happened about a week ago. Both times, a professional came with snake and everything cleared up within minutes. The emergency service plumber told me that even that pipe should be okay, as otherwise, the 3 1/2 inch snake that he used would had gotten stuck (due to a crack in the pipe, etc..). He went on to tell me that as long as I do this snaking once a year, I should be just fine.

In any case, I am going to have a plumber here working starting next week, as we are building a completely new kitchen (replacing all pipes there). I want him to use a camera to find out whats is really going on this "troubled" section. Just to make sure.

What does all of this information have to do with the garbage crusher in my new sink? Because I just heard from some that told me that since I have such a situation in the basement, it may be best that I do not install a Waste King device under the sink. His reasoning was that if I use the Waste King and do not properly "wash down" the crushed contents" with water, it may "dry-up" or "clump" up over time, causing me more repetative blockage in my sewer.

I would like to hear your opinion. Does it really create more danger for my situation? BTW: I was thinking of getting a 3/4 HP or 1 HP model.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living