Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renov8r_gw

questions about stackable washer taps

renov8r
9 years ago

I am putting in a new kitchen with a 34" cupboard for my new stackable washer/dryer. The plumber has roughed in some of the plumbing and I am realizing that the water taps are on the back wall approximately at the height of the washing machine, which will be difficult to turn off in case of a leak etc. Should I be requesting that he move them to one side of the back, since there will be space beside the washer to reach back to the taps? Or should they be placed on the side of the cupboard within easy reach? What do most people do? I am concerned about water accidents, and we are putting in new hardwood for the kitchen. Foam insulation will be done soon and I want to get this corrected if it needs to be.

Comments (8)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Most od these appliances are connected in this manner, because the appliance has an access panel between the washer and dryer that allows you to reach the valves, drain and power connections.

• renov8r
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I am not understanding your answer snoonyb. If I leave the valves at the back of the washer, they can be reached through the access panel? I'm assuming my washer/dryer will have that access panel. If that is the case, I can leave them where they are placed now, which would relieve me.

• aidan_m
    9 years ago

In my experience an appliance dolly is required to move the stackable unit out of the nook, just in order to reach the hoses. I haven't encountered an access panel. My suggestion would be to use flood safe hoses. They have a integral valve that stops the flow if a leak is sensed.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Correct.

The appliance PDF will show this, if it's the case.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

Also, have the plumber put in a single handle cutoff valve that controls both the hot and cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: washer valve

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Renov8r,

If your machines are a frontloader pair that can be installed either as stacked or not, then there is no access panel to reach through/behind the machines.

Snoonyb is referring to a unitary stacked set manufactured as stacked and only usable that way (NOT "stackable" in that they can be used as non-stacked), which typically consists of a toploader washer on the bottom section with a dryer mounted atop and a spacer panel between.

Flood-Safe hoses can cause problems with some washers nowadays that fill using a series of brief spurts ... the safety valve in the hose may erroneously detect the fill pattern as a leak/failure.

• aidan_m
    9 years ago

That's good to know about the flood safe hoses.

I had an issue installing a set of those on a stackable unit. After I left, the client called to report that the washer would not fill with hot water but the rinse cycle was working. It turns out that when I initially turned on the water, I did so too abruptly and it triggered the check valve in the flood safe hose.

I had to bring back the appliance dolly and move the unit back out of the closet, remove, check, and replace the hoses. Then we tested the wash cycles BEFORE rolling the unit back into the closet. The real PITA was the client lives in a 30th floor condo in downtown San Francisco. The building did not have extra parking for maintenance guys. I really could have avoided the second trip.

• renov8r
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got my problem fixed I hope. We are moving the box with the water valves into the back of the coat closet directly beside the washer/dryer cabinet. Thanks for your help.