Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insinkerator Compact GD - Home Depot vs Plumbing Showroom

Posted by maries1120 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 12:55

The Insinkerator Compact GD is $60 cheaper at Home Depot than from the Plumbing Showroom. I haven't een able to determine if the model numbers are exact. Does anyone know if these are the exact same GDs or if they make some changes for Home Depot to sell these cheaper?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insinkerator Compact GD - Home Depot vs Plumbing Showroom

I strongly suspect that it's the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insinkerator Evolution Compact Prices

o

Thanks for the response and link.

o

You need to check the exact model numbers.

Big box stores often have models built to their price point.

o

Thanks. That was what I was suspecting based on the price difference. But when I went to the Insnkerator site I didn't find a model number just the name Evolution Compact. Getting the HD model number to compare would be easy.

o

I recently saw Honeywell thermostats with different model numbers between HD and Lowe's, despite all the functionality being the same.

The mounting bases had same minor differences, but nothing significant.

I would not be surprised if many of the thermostats used the same chip, just set up to allow a different feature set to operate in the different models, and all at different prices.

Sears used to specialize in this.
The first three digits of a model number told who manufactured the item for Sears, and was guarded carefully.

o

You also have to consider the purchasing power of the big box stores.

Your local plumbing supply may purchase disposals in single pallet lots of 24 to 48 units and they have to pay LTL (less than truckload) freight rates, which are the highest freight rates, whereas the big box stores have 1000's of stores so when they go to the manufacturer they may order 100,000 units on a blanket purchase, and since the big box stores have their own fleets of trucks, and distribution warehouses they get an FOB(freight on board) price at the manufactures door and move the product on their own trucks.

You also have to consider the manufacturers attitude here. If one company comes in and purchase what is perhaps 10 or 15% of your annual production on one blanket order you would do everything in your power to trim the price to get that contract.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here