Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nitrates/Water Treatment

Posted by nyc_sport (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 12:50

Our weekend house is on well water in a farming area. Water test showed high nitrates (13 PPM), and a few other simpler issues that need to be addressed (low Ph, hardness). I know the experts will ask what the acual numbers were, but I do not have them here. It is a new house, 4 baths, 2 kitchen sinks, but for now only two (part time) residents (landscaping, hoses, etc. use a different well).

Water treatment company is coming to the house tomorrow. He seems to be in favor of RO filter/water dispenser for the nitrates issues, which I am not at all a fan of. If there is only going to be one slow going spigot of drinkable water, I will stick to the 5 gallon water dispenser we have been using for years, and avoid putting more holes in our rediculously expensive counters. He seems against the resin whole house nitrate treatments -- says they are not "approved" in our county for residential use and there is some issue with chlorides in backwash and disposal of byproducts.

Can anyone comment on potential issues/downsides of ion exchange or other whole house nitrate treatments?

Thanks very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nitrates/Water Treatment

Do you have a fairly shallow well? If so, drilling deeper will often locate nitrate-free water. If that is not an option, ion exchange is the only feasible way to remove nitrates from all of the water in the house. Discharge water from regeneration will be, however, high in nitrates which is a disposal issue in many areas. Check that out for yourself to ensure you have the correct information.

RO is another option, but you don't seem to like that idea. If the major concern is only one faucet, you can install faucets wherever you want, one at each sink if you like. However, that will entail more holes in your counters. Since this is just a weekend house, the bottled water dispenser is probably your easiest, cheapest solution.

o

Thanks AW. The well is new and definitely not shallow -- 100+ feet. We had hoped for better water than the old 60 foot well (now used for landscaping) -- it is better, but still not great.

We are going with an ion exchange with a softener and Ph treatment.

o

I hope everything works out for you - water treatment can certainly get tricky. I admit I did laugh a little when you said you well was not shallow. That would be quite shallow here. My well is 283 ft and that is not particularly deep in my area, but we have very sandy soil in my part of the world - have to go deeper to get to good water. It's all relative.

o

My friend's well is 600ft (supposedly) but the pump is around 300ft.

o

Thanks for the input all. The whole-house solution will be installed next week. And after AW's observation about well depth, I learned that I was sadly mistaken (perhaps explaining why it cost almost $10K to drill the well). We are on a 100+ foot bluff; the well is 100 feet below the water level, or about 250 feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here