Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyc_sport_gw

Nitrates/Water Treatment

nyc_sport
13 years ago

Our weekend house is on well water in a farming area. Water test showed high nitrates (13 PPM), and a few other simpler issues that need to be addressed (low Ph, hardness). I know the experts will ask what the acual numbers were, but I do not have them here. It is a new house, 4 baths, 2 kitchen sinks, but for now only two (part time) residents (landscaping, hoses, etc. use a different well).

Water treatment company is coming to the house tomorrow. He seems to be in favor of RO filter/water dispenser for the nitrates issues, which I am not at all a fan of. If there is only going to be one slow going spigot of drinkable water, I will stick to the 5 gallon water dispenser we have been using for years, and avoid putting more holes in our rediculously expensive counters. He seems against the resin whole house nitrate treatments -- says they are not "approved" in our county for residential use and there is some issue with chlorides in backwash and disposal of byproducts.

Can anyone comment on potential issues/downsides of ion exchange or other whole house nitrate treatments?

Thanks very much.

Comments (5)