Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Width of cavity for drain and trap

Posted by janwad (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 12:47

I'm planning a bath vanity. I want to put 2 cabinets in with a gap between them, a counter over, and a vessel sink above the gap. The faucet will be wall mounted.

What is the minimum width needed in the gap between the cabinets for the drain and valves?

I'm hoping for 12 inches, but I'm guessing that's not enough.

(I appreciate your input. I will ask my plumber too, but I'd rather not look totally stupid right off the bat!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Width of cavity for drain and trap

You'd probably want at least 30" between the base cabinets so that repairs to the trap and and shutoff valves can be made in the future.

12" is entirely too small an area in which to work.

o
RE: Width of cavity for drain and trap

Since your faucet will be wall-mounted, I think if you put the shut-off valves one above the other, vice side-by-side, 12" would be tight but doable for future repairs, especially if extra care is taken to ensure the valves and drain plumbing are centered in the space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here