Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watersense versus Tankless H2O heater

Posted by samana (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 12:45

I was looking for faucet fixtures and came across a Moen review that said because of the 'WaterSense' criteria, their faucet doesn't draw enough water to activate their tankless heater! Has anyone else run into this? Would this be true for all WaterSense faucets? I assume that is some kind of government rating.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watersense versus Tankless H2O heater

I think it depends on the specific tankless heater. I believe the newer models from the higher-end brands have gotten more sensitive in terms of turning on at lower flows. I'm thinking Rinnai, Noritz, and Takagi as examples.

That said, the Watersense spec is for flow to be in the range of 0.8 gpm to 1.6 gpm. I think that should turn on any of the above.

We have an older Noritz, and IIRC it turns on somewhere around 0.8 gpm to 1.0 gpm.

It did require a little adjustment- for example, my wintertime shaving routine changed. Rather than try to trickle out hot water to rinse the razor while I shave, I close the drain and put a few inches of hot water in the basin. Then I just run the faucet full-open until I get hot water.

FWIW, if you're re-doing piping, it may make sense to go with smaller branches to each fixture instead of one big header with short, smaller risers. Will help somewhat with the time to get hot water. And I'm thinking about hard piping- PEX with it's manifolds and home runs is more amenable to this as a default.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watersense faucet specs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here