Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help diagnosing well pressure switch issue

Posted by clintonaford (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 11:48

Ive posted a video of whats going on with my pressure switch here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7pvDRxxOf4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Basically when the pressure drops to 40 psi the switch engages the pump. The pressure rapidly rises to 60 psi and the pump kicks off. The pressure gauge immediately settles back down to about 42 psi. I have emptied the water lines and precharged the tank to 39.5 lbs. usually the tank works properly for a few weeks and gets progressively worse. Initially holding a charge at 60 psi. A week or two later it will hold 50 psi. Until we get to now, where the pressure only holds at 42 ish. The sediment filter has been bypassed, so it shouldnt be from a clogged filter. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help diagnosing well pressure switch issue

My first guess would be a faulty pressure tank, leaking diaphragm. Might also be a faulty check valve at the pump...

o

You could have a ruptured bladder in your tank. Turn off power to your pump so it can't kick on. Run a faucet or spigot until you run out of water. Now, is the tank actually empty? Do you hear sloshing if you rock it?

You could also have a blockage to your pressure switch and gauge - not a bad idea to remove them and ensure all is clear.

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 17:26

o

I do not hear sloshing when i empty the tank, it feels and sounds completely empty. Ill remove the guages and check for blockage.i dont imagine theres a way to check for a faulty check valve without pulling the pump? Is this correct? Thanks for helping guys.

o

Heres another question... Before clearing the water lines to recharge the pressure tank ill check the pressure on the tank via the schrader valve. It may read 30 or so psi. After i clear the water lines the same valve reads 0. Shouldnt the pressure reading be constant when checking due to the air being trapped in a bladder? This leads me to believe its a bladder issue. I did clear the pressure switch and guage. Things worked good for about a week, now were back to what it was doing before.

o

The link you posted to the video is partially faulty. Below is one that works.
The extreme pressure drop when the pump stops is puzzling. Is your pump submersible or jet?

Based on your description, either the Schrader valve could be leaking or the bladder could be faulty. Check the Schrader valve by spitting on your finger and rub it on the end of the valve--look for active bubbles.

But those do not explain the drop to 45 when the pump stops and then the pressure holding there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

This post was edited by bus_driver on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 15:26

o

Tank pressure should be present when the tank is empty, like 30 to 34 lbs.

o

Here another video showing what the tank does the day after i recharge the tank. Note no hissing sound coming from the tank and proper rise in pressure. After a week or two it reverts to acting like the first video. Thanks guys!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressure tank 2

This post was edited by clintonaford on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 13:10

o

Replace the tank.

o

Lol, thats what i was figuring. Thanks for the input and watching everything guys.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here