Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Water Supply to Detached Garage/Living Space

Posted by philwgreen (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 10:47

Love the site and have learned so many things reading through the forum over the years. Finally had a question of my own. About to start work on a garage with living space above it and wanted to get everyone's opinion on getting water out to the new building.

Main house was built in 1949. House is one story on a hill with a walk out basement under about 1/3 of the house. The rest is crawl space. I spent some time this last week digging (always fun in a crawl space) to get a better idea of the current plumbing setup. Here's what I know.

Main line into the house is 3/4. That line passes to the back half of the house about 18" below grade about 30'. There are 1/2" branches as it passes my kitchen (sink, ice maker), hall bath (lab, toilet shower/tub), laundry and master bath (double lav, toilet, shower). At the end of that run is the tankless water heater and the 3/4" hot line runs back to the front of the house with 1/2" branches at the same locations (master bath, laundry, hall bath and kitchen.)

My question is two-fold.

Our GC and plumber want to tee off the end of the cold line, near the water heater, and run 3/4" to the new structure (about 50' away). In my head it makes more sense to tee off where the 3/4" enters the house and send one side to the main house and one side to the new building. I don't have any science/facts to back up that assertion - it just seems to make more sense to me - but then again I'm not a plumber. I'm just getting the impression from the GC/Plumber that their way would be 'easier' but I don't know if it's better or correct.

The second part of that question: is 3/4" even large enough to carry that many fixtures? The new building will have one bath (lab, toilet, shower).

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Water Supply to Detached Garage/Living Space

Contact your local utility about separate utility services for the detached building. You will need a separate sewage hookup and supply as well as a separate gas supply if that is planned. On a separate meter. That is if local codes even allow a separate detached living quarter. Many do not, to keep people from violating the single family zoning for the property. They don't want people creating rentable structures.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here