Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacement shower head - too heavy??

Posted by janeb_md (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 10:44

I posted this on the bathroom forum, but I think I might get an answer here as well - I want to replace a shower head, and bought a new one (a Jalco) that is a LOT heavier than the existing one. My husband's concerned that it's too heavy for the shower arm and will eventually cause it to sag (or, worse, loosen the pipes in the wall) - is he being overly cautious? Both fit a standard fitting. The existing (20 year-old) head has 6 nozzles, the new one has 8.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacement shower head - too heavy??

It does sound a little neurotic to me, unless you have really badly installed piping in the wall. Does he have any thing he can point to that would suggest this could be a problem, or is he just worrying without any evidence to support it?

o

I'm a Plumbing & Heating contractor, and if your lug ell in the wall was installed with roofing nails or nails versus screws, and I would be a little concerned.

I constantly installed these new rain shower heads for customers, and the shower arm is loose as hell.

When I mention that to the customer, and recommend drywall gets cut opened so it can be fixed, every single time they politely decline, and disclaimer goes on the bill to protect my butt.

With a shower arm being loose and wobbling around, your bigger concerned is the weight of the shower head breaking the shower arm off in the pipe...then it's P.I.A. time to get it out.

Check your shower arm!

o

Thanks - I think we're going to exchange it for something lighter-weight. I don't know what the installation behind the wall was done with - the bathroom was remodeled 20 years ago, just before we bought the house (which is about 90 years old).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here