Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing area around pipes

Posted by macvirtualasst (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 9:59

Hi All,

We have this huge gap around our pipes under our sinks - http://db.tt/23t3dWw9

Does anyone know of an alternative other than expanding foam? I would love it if they made metal collars wider than what we have but I have never seen any...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing area around pipes

We had something kinda sorta similar under our kitchen sink in our island. Had to slide whole island over after incompetent contractor couldn't center it in the room.

It was a pretty painstaking process, but I bought a piece of 1/8" thick white plastic from McMaster Carr (to match melamine inside cabs), probably 12" x 12". I made cutouts for each pipe, then cut it in half so that it would clamshell around the pipes. Glued it down and that's how it's been ever since.

You could do something similar with any of a number of materials (plastic, wood, metal).

o

Plastic, plywood, whatever you have handy.

Measure pipe diameter, cut hole in materiel, cut in half through center of hole, fasten in place.

I have even used tile held in place by weight alone.

o

Go to an HVAC supply house and they have oversized chrome trim escutcheons that are used when converting a live steam to hydronic system.

o

Thank you all for your great suggestions, I appreciate it! I also am considering getting a shower escutcheon because the one we have would just about do the trick. We are thinking to take it to a metal place, have them cut it in half, and then rejoin and glue around the pipe...

o

"I also am considering getting a shower escutcheon because the one we have would just about do the trick."

Not a very large pipe then.

Most real hardware stores should have split escutcheons for smaller size lines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here