Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen faucet design

Posted by FL_Tom_331 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 9:38

I am in the process of moving the kitchen in my house from one room to another. I am at the point of looking at sinks and faucets. I was looking at faucets the other day at Lowe's and I am seeing all the dollar signs and fancy designs and I'm saying to myself..."Whoa!". Faucets are not what they used to be. Simple faucets with a hand sprayer are only a small segment of the market. Now the place is jammed with pull out and pull down designs. I'm looking at all this and trying to figure out which design is going to fit my needs, my budget, and is not going to be breaking down. Is the pull out design inherently better than pull down? Or is it the other way around? And which manufacturer has a model in that design that is reliable? I've seen some postings here in this forum regarding what I thought was a reputable company and some of you have had mixed reviews of their products. Whether the exact nature of the problem is "user error" or design based...well...that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish for another discussion. Also, some manufacturers like to tout things like "diamond technology" or whatever. I couldn't give a rat's rear end if the guts of the faucet are made from a chunk of wood made by some old bearded hick out in the back woods of nowhere who's using nothing more sophisticated than a pen knife. Bottom line, if it works reliably (doesn't leak) and does so over it's lifetime (something in the neighborhood of 10 years...I don't think that's too much to ask of a faucet) then I'm fine with that.

So, it's pull down vs. pull out vs. simple spout and who's got the best implementation of that design.

Thanks for your input!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen faucet design

FWIW....linked below is the current version of the one I bought 19 years ago....still works great after one head replacement (which took about 60 seconds.)

My personal opinion is that kitchen faucets are VERY important and deserve serious consideration. I use mine dozens of times every day. For myself and my kitchen guests, I want easy-to-figure-out, sensible, smooth, reliable control of water flow; easy switch-over from stream to spray and back; easily-directed flow or spray from the pull-out head. AND NO PROBLEMS. This unit has delivered. It costs too much, of course, but it makes my mother's also-expensive Moen look like was designed and built in Somalia. I recommend it without hesitation.

I'm sure there are others out there as good or better....but I don't have time to examine them all.

Here is a link that might be useful: My personal favorite kitchen faucet

o
RE: Kitchen faucet design

I've always been a Moen fan, but I agree with asolo, get a Grohe if your budget allows it. However, make sure you hold onto the receipt, as you will need it for warranty issues if any arise. Shop the faucet online as you will get a cheaper price then the big box stores.

I'm a Plumbing & Heating contractor, and I spent a solid week, plus 3 hours last night deciding which Kitchen faucet I wanted for my new home, and I can't believe I went with Grohe.

Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here