Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephenson_gw

Lake water pump broken housing - options?

stephenson
10 years ago

I drained the pump for the winter, but had previously noticed stress cracks in the iron pump housing - this year it leaks water across a 8' crack ... it is a Sta Rite HMSF-1FL, horizontal pump with a 1 1/2 HP motor and pressure tank - was used by previously owner for landscape irrigation (300 feet uphill with 75 foot elevation increase) and for general dock and boat cleaning. The irrigation system was unnecessary and we will never use it, again.

Anyone dealt with this, before? I would like to simply replace the housing, but the motor and pressure switch are original (probably 15 years old?) A new pump/motor/switch is pretty expensive, and may be significantly oversized for just the dockside clearning and one additional faucet about 50 feet away at the same level as the pump.

I don't want to change out the suction line or modify the pressure lines - too much of it to economically replace, but could modify reducers, etc, if a smaller pump with different in/out line sizes made sense. If I did replace the entire system (except the tank), I would like to keep the location the same for wiring and line connections.

Thoughts on most reasonable course of action?