Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenston

1' prv?

fenston
12 years ago

Upon closer inspection my used home I just bought has a 1" pipe coming in from the street (no existing PRV). It then branches at a tee that has 1" 3/4" and 3/4" fittings. One 3/4" fitting goes to the front sprinkler system and hose bib. The other one goes into the house.

I'm thinking of just buying a 1" to 3/4" reducer to feed a 3/4" PRV and the output of the PRV will feed everything as before.

Is this advisable? I'm thinking I will get reduced flow out of this setup VS. what is there already. But then I am installing a PRV to reduce the pressure which would reduce the flow anyway so perhaps this is a moot point. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (2)

• lazypup
    12 years ago

What is the pressure coming in from the street main?

If the pressure does not exceed 85psi and is not likely to even intermittantly exceed 85psi there is no need to install a PRV.

On the other hand, even if you did install a PRV, that would not reduce the volume of flow.

• zl700
    12 years ago

Reductions in pressure and addition of a component will result in reduced flow and potentially open end pressure with the adddition of a PRV.

Sizing PRV's is a science, read explanation here:

http://media2.wattswater.com/pg-prv.pdf