Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barrybud

Slippery water

barrybud
12 years ago

Hi, Sorry for the novel!!

Our well water has a PH of 5.5 hardness of 7 and TDS of 135. I was using a chemical feed pump to adjust the PH and it was marginally working even with the pump on max flow of solution. So I went looking for a new neutralizer and non-salt softener and I couldn't find any certified non-salt products out there. (though I recently found a Pelican system, but I am still not sure how they soften the water) So we ended up with an acid neutralizer that uses Crystal 7 and a Kinetico 2030 softener. Well I thought the new set up was working great and I kind of like the slippery feeling. The wife on the other hand cant stand it to the point that she said she would go shower somewhere else because it felt like she could not get the shampoo/conditioner out of her long hair. She insisted that there has to be something wrong.

I tested the water the the PH is at 7.8 which is a little high, but better for the metal parts of the plumbing. I called the company that installed the system. He suggested that this was coming from the high PH and that we may have to switch to crystal 5(in 6 months or so when I have to refill the neutralizer tank). Reading many post it seems that the slippery feeling is from the salt used to soften, not the PH. Which is correct?

His temporary fix was to crack open the bypass and allow a small amount of the raw water to mix with the treated. Well the smarter husbands out there know that a happy wife = a happy life so I did as suggested and the slippery factor is down. I also have some of the hardness back in the system. This is not an acceptable long term solution. Should I have him pull the Kinetico out? Would a change in the disk that regulates the softening help?

Thanks,

Barry

Comments (5)