Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overhead Shower Install

Posted by nuckphoto (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 8:49

We are doing a remodel of our bathroom. The bathroom will be completely gutted.

I want to run a water line from the valve to install an overhead rain style shower head. This is a shower only, no tub. It will have a wall shower head/handheld plus the over head one.

I was thinking of buying a shower/tub valve and routing the tub line overhead for the rain style shower head. I'm assuming this will work?

Should I use copper pipe or will plastic pipe (PEX?) work?

Any recommendations for a certain brand/type of valve? Are the constant temp valves any good?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overhead Shower Install

The plan you have for using a tub / shower valve to run two shower heads won't work. Tub/shower valves assume there is no back pressure on the tub spout.

You can use any type of pipe that's acceptable by code for your area. Be sure to firmly attach the shower stub(s) to a support so they resist the weight of a showerhead and the installation forces. You don't want to open the wall again to fix that later. In addition, the pressure balanced scald guard valve may be required in your area and is probably a good idea with a rain style overhead showerhead ( think about a scalding situation..)

You will also need to look at the volume of water in GPM for the shower using both showerheads. Will you need to change the design of your supply lines, your drain lines or your water heater to accommodate the extra volume of water? Do the math first.

I happen to think multi-head showers, like big soaking tubs, are beyond wasteful -- particularly when many areas are subject to drought. The amount of heated water that's dumped down the drain is crazy bordering on criminal.

o

Thanks for the reply. Guess I should have stated that the shower usage will be one or the other, not both.

o

Still won't work. The combination valve relies on gravity. When the tub is filling, both sides of the valve are open, but the lack of back pressure from the tub spout does not force the water out of the shower head. Gravity keeps the water flowing through the lower opening only. If you hold your hand over the tub spout the water will come through the shower head.

You need two separately plumbed control valves for two showers.

I've seen a job done like you are describing. Only one shower head worked, and it only worked with the diverter set to shower. With the diverter open (set to the tub filler), both shower heads just had a miserable trickle of water.

o

Thanks for responding. So, would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Grohe-19881000-GrohFlex-Cosmopolitan-Function/dp/B006K8HX3I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1398277597&sr=8-8&keywords=rough+in+dual+shower+diverter

I'm assuming with something like the above I would still need a temp control valve feeding water into it.

Or, can someone point me in the right direction (product)? The dual showers are going to happen, I just have to figure it out.

o

http://www.amazon.com/Grohe-19881000-GrohFlex-Cosmopolitan-Function/dp/B006K8HX3I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1398277597&sr=8-8&keywords=rough+in+dual+shower+diverter

I'm assuming with something like the above I would still need a temp control valve feeding water into it.

Or, can someone point me in the right direction (product)? The dual showers are going to happen, I just have to figure it out.

o

o

I'm not familiar with that valve - but it's the right idea. Get one that's made for dual showerheads.

Here's one that has a control for the two showers

Here is a link that might be useful: Dual control

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here