Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well pressure tank

Posted by olddawg (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 8:33

I've had few minor issues with the pressure tank this winter.

First the relief valve let loose and I replaced it and adjusted my cut-off pressure down a tad.

Now it just drips and I figure I don't have the cut-in setting right (loss of pressure before well starts back up).

I did depress the air the valve on the top of the tank to check for water (saw none) and did the old 'tap on the side of the tank' checking for water level.

Seems good.

Today I'm heading down there to drain the tank, check the air pressure and adjust the tank and pressure switch as necessary.

Any other thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well pressure tank

Update;
4 hours of messing with this thing, I finally gave up and went to my local 'warehouse' style lumber lumber yard and bought a new pressure switch.

$27 and 30 minutes later, life is good again!
Yes I bought a new gauge, since I was banging on the thing to get it to move....

Now just to stop that relief valve from dripping...

Probably just need to remove and flush it, since I replaced it last month.

There was 'so much' crud filled into the pipe to the pressure switch, no wonder it wasn't working right.

Thank God I have the new filtering system up and running (new 2 years ago).
Don't wish to think what's been happening to all the other appliances I have here.

Oh the joys of home ownership and living in the country!

o
RE: Well pressure tank

Instead of removing the relief valve to flush it, you can probably manually open it for a second or so to rinse it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here