Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Sprinkler Pressure Vacuum Breaker Is Too Tall!

Posted by jhome2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 8:20

Here is the picture of my Sprinkler's Pressure Vacuum Breaker. It is too tall and looks ugly. A plumber friend told me that he can fix it by cut it shorter. I have not used it since we moved in three years ago for some reasons. I believe he can do the work but not sure if there is any other thing to look at such as pressure and so on.

sprinkler1

Thanks for any suggestion.

-J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Sprinkler Pressure Vacuum Breaker Is Too Tall!

How high are the sprinkler lines relative to the vacuum breaker?

Moving it down is simple.

Cut both vertical lines, add couplings and cement team back together.

o

The Sprinkler lines are under ground. I am concern about the pressure goes into the breaker and lines. My plumber forend might not be familiar with Sprinkler so do not want to make any mistake when we want to re-use it in the future.

Thanks for the reply.

-J

o
reRE: My Sprinkler Pressure Vacuum Breaker Is Too Tall!

"The Sprinkler lines are under ground. "

How high are the underground lines relative to the vacuum breaker?

Relative height matters.

o

The vacuum breaker is required to be at an elevation that is higher then the highest sprinkler head on the system. If your property slopes you have to find the elevation of the highest sprinkler then the vacuum breaker has to be at an elevation at least 6' higher than the highest sprinkler head.

o

6' some strange code thing?

Watts/Febco both state 12" above piping and outlets in installation instructions.

o

This is to reply to lazyouo regarding the height of the line. You said it should be at lease 6' higher than the highest sprinkler head. But my readings (i.e. http://www.irrigationrepair.com/pressure_vacuum_breaker_install_maintain_repair.html) says 12" is enough. I think this is one of the things I need to clarify before my plumber friend chop off the lines!

-J

o

I think he meant 6 inches.

This site has all sorts of problems dealing with single and double apostrophes.

o

Ok, cool. Do I need to do 'Winterize' before Winter after I cut the line?

-J

o

OOOOOOOOOPPPs. I had a typo, it should read 6", however many local codes do enhance that to 12".

In regard to the question of pressure. Shortening the lines will have no effect on pressure.

o

Thanks all! Last question - we have not used the sprinkler system in the past three years since we moved in. We will re-arrange the lines in the future. Anyway, if we shorten the lines and still do not use it this year, do we need to do any pressure type of work before the Winter?

-J

o

This thread came up while searching for PVB height questions, so I'll add mine here:

Is there a limit to how high you can install the PVB valve, other than maybe having to support the piping by clamping it against the siding? Or maybe needing a ladder to test and drain it?

We need to figure out the relative height of the end of our long driveway, and at the moment, I'm thinking we'll either have to give up running the sprinkler to the curb, go with a potentially quite high PVB, or figure out if we can squeeze an RPZ into a utility closet that's already quite crowded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here