Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skimmer/Suction Pump instead of sump pump

Posted by andersog (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 7:29

Had a plumber come to advise me on a possible sump pump installation, and he advised against it as I'm so close to a small river that floods he thought my water table might be just under my foundation (just had a flood in early march that came up from underneath after a snowy winter and subsequently a week of 2 heavy rains).

He suggested I instead look into getting a 'skimmer pump' which I could have on the floor at my low spot, and next to it put an alarm for water. In other words, if we had an unusual amount of rain and water started coming in, I could turn the skimmer pump on and pump the water out through a hose. He said skimmer pumps can suction water at any level (ie they don't require a certain amount of water to work as most utility pumps do).

Any idea where I could get one of these pumps online?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skimmer/Suction Pump instead of sump pump

You can check out McMaster-Carr at the link below, though Lowes, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Menards, etc also carry skimmer pumps.
I prefer the one without an intake hose, McMaster-Carr's 3023K41, as the ones with an intake hoser can be a nuisance to prime. Skimmers can pump down to about 1/8" of water and should be monitored so they don't run dry (the water being pumped also cools the pump mechanism).

Here is a link that might be useful: McMaster-Carr

o

Thanks for the info- very helpful.

I also found this Koshin model- any thought on this (It says it can pump down to a level of 1 mm):

http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_product/XKOPXL65011_Koshin_Bottom_Submersible_Pump.asp

o

Looks good, but the 3X+ price difference would make me think twice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here