Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with water softener

Posted by bs2100 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 0:18

I bought my house in November 2009 and it has a midway 5600 water softener that was installed July 2000. I was an idiot and didn't maintain the softener at all. Last month I added salt to the brine tank and the water was yellow-brown for a couple days and then went back to normal. I got a test kit and have tested my water and it's basically not softened at all.

Just recently the water has turned yellow-brown again and I'd like to get this fixed once and for all.

I cleaned the brine tank out before I put salt in it and I haven't really noticed the salt level of the brine tank going down. I'd really appreciate any tips or advice on how to get this working again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with water softener

Assuming the valve is working correctly. It sounds like it is not drawing in brine. If the system was still in service for a long period of time with no salt it is most likely saturated with hardness and iron. Cloudy water with iron after regeneration is typical of oxidized iron that has settled in bottom of tank. Regeneration/backwashing stirs this sediment up and it comes in to the home. Clean the eductor assembly out on right side of valve. You can find a service manual for the Fleck 5600 on line. Make sure all the air is out of brine assembly and float. Put unit in refill position and hold the float stem down (in salt tank) until all air is purged. Get Red Out powder additive, at local hardware, dilute mixture in water and add to salt tank. Run the system every day for 1 week. This may clean the resin and restore capacity. If not you may consider rebedding the softener.
RJ

o
RE: Problems with water softener

You want to clean out your brine tank as well - It may be that you are washing a bunch of garbage through your resin during the brine cycle as well.

o
oops

Never mind - I see that you cleaned it out. That's what I get for skimming, rather than reading carefully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here