Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I install a combo sump pump? Need advice.

Posted by onward-upward (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 23:58

I have a 1/3 hp blue angel pump that is about 5 YO. It only kicks in when we have 1-2 inches of rain so I don�t consider that to be a lot of usage. We average about 3 inches a month so if the rain is spread out over a month it may not kick in at all. I�m gonna be traveling so I want to do this to have peace of mind, just in case power goes down, and we have a huge rain event. You never know, right?

Anyway, I thought it was really complicated to install a back up, but it seems that they sell those combo units that have the back up one right next to the main one. There are some videos that looks like it�ll be "plug and play". I�m more nervous about hooking up to my pvc than the electrical hookup with the battery.

The two models I�ve seen are the Big combination sump pump system and the Basement watchdog. Any other models out there? Are these any good? Also, for one of these units (maybe both), each pump has a cut off valve built in.

Is this something a DIYer can tackle? Will I have to wait till the sump pit is pretty clear (i.e. no rains recently)? What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I install a combo sump pump? Need advice.

I've installed battery operated back-up sump pumps on the same discharge line as the primary sump pump. It's a separate unit but comes with a checkvalve to permit the single discharge line. They're available from Lowes, HD, Tractor Supply, Wal-mart, etc.
The only thing that didn't come with the pump was the battery. They recommended a marine, deep discharge, battery, but I've found an automotive battery to do well enough, at a much lower cost, in most cases (i.e. power back on in a day or three).

o
RE: Can I install a combo sump pump? Need advice.

How do you make sure that the auto battery doesn't lose its charge? I know that a car sitting around without being started regularly will need a jump sometimes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here