Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onward_upward

Can I install a combo sump pump? Need advice.

onward-upward
13 years ago

I have a 1/3 hp blue angel pump that is about 5 YO. It only kicks in when we have 1-2 inches of rain so I don�t consider that to be a lot of usage. We average about 3 inches a month so if the rain is spread out over a month it may not kick in at all. I�m gonna be traveling so I want to do this to have peace of mind, just in case power goes down, and we have a huge rain event. You never know, right?

Anyway, I thought it was really complicated to install a back up, but it seems that they sell those combo units that have the back up one right next to the main one. There are some videos that looks like it�ll be "plug and play". I�m more nervous about hooking up to my pvc than the electrical hookup with the battery.

The two models I�ve seen are the Big combination sump pump system and the Basement watchdog. Any other models out there? Are these any good? Also, for one of these units (maybe both), each pump has a cut off valve built in.

Is this something a DIYer can tackle? Will I have to wait till the sump pit is pretty clear (i.e. no rains recently)? What do you think?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler