Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sizing and cost of water softener

Posted by honkdm (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 23:25

Hello. I need some help with a water softener purchase.
Yes I will get an independent water test done.

I had the first vendor come out today for a quote. I will post their test results when I get the written quote. They did say my disolved solids was within acceptable levels; pH balanced, no Iron, high calcium, 9 grains of hardness. Well water.

While I understand wanting to future proof the sytem. I live alone, don�t get much company, am out of the house all day; and often shower at the gym. House has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths (no whirpools); dishwater (that I never use).

The quote includes the following. Moving (over 2 feet) and replacing the sediment filter. They want the Big Blue style. They say my existing filter is too small. Water Right with Clack valve, 36,000 Grains, US manufactured resin. Internal drain piping, to temporary external drain pipe. $2,000.

I will need to add a power outlet esp cost $200.
Permanent draining 1) dry well $1,000; 2) buried pipe empting away from the house $500.

Thoughts on the cost? I am concerned the 36,000 is bigger than I need,

Thanks for your review.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sizing and cost of water softener

Since you are planning on getting an independent test done, I'll wait to provide sizing recommendations. You can check your state's website for certified labs. You want to know: TDS, pH, hardness, iron (ferrous and ferric), manganese, sulfates, nitrates, bacteria, TOC, particulates (preferably with size distribution). There may be other tests that your state recommends based on where you live.

So far, the only usable number you have is hardness. TDS is "acceptable" -- means nothing. Pretty much any TDS is acceptable, but the higher it is, the more salt is required and a larger softener may be necessary. pH balanced - balanced at what number - 7.0? It could be balanced at 5.0 or 10.0.

Sediment filter: Big Blue style is great. For one person, a single 4" diameter x 10" long filter will be fine, unless you have excessive particulates in your well water. What size is your current filter housing and what type of filter cartridge are you using? How often do you have to change the cartridge?

As to softener size, the price difference between a 1.0 cubic ft softener and 0.75 (the smallest you should go for any house) is negligible. Provided you are removing particulates upstream from the softener, we can make the slightly larger softener quite efficient for your. Let's get the analysis first though.

Prices: Drain and power costs look reasonable. Softener price seems a bit high. Do you have other local water treatment companies you can speak to?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here