Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark gray water...!

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 23:12

Hi all!

Suddenly my water is gray. Dark, shadowed gray. Not sediment, because nothing settles.

I'm on a deep water well with a whole house filter and water softener. Both are working properly and new/full.
3 years ago my neighbor had to have a new well dug. I am fearful that might be my problem, although I'm not experiencing any difference in water pressure.

A search here and broader methods don't come up with anything that makes sense.

I was hoping someone might have information on possibilities?

Thank you so much,
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark gray water...!

Christine, do you have galvanized plumbing?

o

No, I don't.
From the well into the house it's the old copper, then inside the house it's new copper.

o

What is the whole house filter?

Has the pH of your water changed, by chance?

Any spikes in pressure that you know of ?

Can you get samples of the water before the filter, between the filter and softener and after the softener? Do they look different?

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 10:23

o

Whole House Filter.

pH: Not that I"m aware of, but I don't know how to test it.
As far as those samples, I think I could, but I'll have to wait a bit until I can clean the garage out to get to it. After the softener would be the water I'm looking at already.

I'll have to live with black water until next week when I can get time from work and get to the softener.

o

Your link isn't working. Is it a sediment filter? Carbon filter? Cartridge? Tank?

o

Huh.
Trying another way...

Cartridge, and a sediment filter that's also supposed to take out small particulates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Campbell Manufacturing Whole House Filter

o

You can purchase pH test strips at a box store, like Home Depot or anyplace that sells hot tubs.

When was the last time you changed the cartridge for your filter?

o

I didn't know that. I'll try Thursday.

I changed the filter in late December.
After 6.5 years of not changing it. With water just fine.

o

Oh, my! 6.5 years. While I don't believe that is the root of your current problem, those filters should be changed every 6 months. They become breeding grounds for bacteria. Not to mention, after such a long period of time the filter is unlikely to have been doing its job.

o

Yeah, I know.
Couldn't get the top off and was afraid I'd crack the copper piping.
It's changed now.

o

There are a few possibilities here, either of which involve a well expert. You could be getting an influx of surface water if your well is not sealed. You could have a problem with your pump. You could have a problem with your well casing. You could have a problem with your underground piping. While a shallow well can be pulled by a homeowner, I wouldn't suggest it with your well. Start by calling the folks that installed the well - there should be a sticker in your pump house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here