Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honkdm

Water softner advice request with water test results

honkdm
10 years ago

Hello. I have two questions one regarding water softener size and the second drainage. I posted last week but I now have the water test results.
9.12 Grains Hardness
Iron .1
Manganese .05
pH 7.5
chloride 26.5
Sodium 20.0
Nitrates 1.6
TDS 175 mg/l

My house 2000 sft; 2 bathrooms (No whirlpool tubs etc.), 2 bedrooms. I live alone, am out of the house all day, and get limited company.

Here is Quote One
SCOPE OF WORK:
Aquabubble Water Softener 1.0 Cubic Foot System with Brine Tank Assembly; 38,000 Grains
� Remove and properly dispose of existing sediment filter.
� Run new main line to system in 3/4" copper piping
� Install the proposed filtration on a 3-Valve bypass.
� Install a condensation jacket on the unit.
� Provide a full brine tank of potassium chloride and a spare sediment filter.
� Tag valves with identification markers
� Mount the sediment filter securely to the wall on a mounting bracket
� Test the water upon completion to determine proper operation.
� Run a Schedule 40-1" drain to agreed on outside location.
� Install temporary 4" sewer pipe and run to wooded area next to house
TOTAL................................................................. .................................................................. $2,023.00

From the research I've done it seems like a 38,000 machine is larger than I really need.

What are your thoughts on this quote. I have another vendor coming out tomorrow.

While my pressure tank is fine they also want to replace it for 1,000 (because it is 25 yrs old). While I know it's older the price seems high since the hardware itself is only 250 at Lowes so 750 in labor seems expensive.

I look forward to your feedback.

Hello. The advice I've received is not to drain a water softener to the septic system. The location where I would plan to drain there is about 10 feet from the house to the woods.
For those living in a cold location (I am in New Hampshire) how do you handle this drainage? Do you have pipe that discharges onto the ground? Do you have a pipe buried? If so how deep? Do you have a dry well?

So far I've gotten the following quote:
DRY WELL OPTION................................................................ ........................................... $1,400.00-$1.600.00
This option is based on time and materials due to digging conditions. We are required by law to contact dig-safe before
we dig anywhere. We have placed markers in your yard for this purpose.
BELOW GRADE DISCHARGE RUN OFF OPTION ...................................................... $ 500.00- $600.00

I look forward to your response.

This post was edited by honkdm on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 17:09

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022