Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boops2012

If sand shows up backing into tub... means break in sewer?

boops2012
12 years ago

My toilet starts backing up so we flush with the bladder thing that forces water thru(sorry dont know what its called) removed the toilet and auger-to discover its leaking from the disintegrating collar thing. Replace all that. Now when doing laundry, sand and debris come up in the tub. I suspect theres a break,I want to get a pro to scope the length of old cast iron pipe that still exists under the slab.The house-to-street run was replaced w/ PVC about 20 yrs ago. How can sand enter a closed system? It would indicate a break ,right? Someone tell me Im right or wrong.Sorry for not knowing the terminology.

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

It could be a break, or it could just be a partially plugged line. The blockage could be in your line,in the city line, or where your line connects to the city drain. You'll need to get it looked at either way.

• aidan_m
    12 years ago

"How can sand enter a closed system? It would indicate a break ,right? Someone tell me Im right or wrong."

Nothing you describe indicates a broken drain line. Everything points to a clogged drain line.

Sand collects in the P-trap of the tub. It washes off people's feet. No mystery here.

The pipes are clogged, not broken. When the washing machine drains, it backs up from the clog, which is downstream from where the bathroom and laundry drains converge. You need to have the lines snaked. I would bet the clog is in a 2" line, right before the Tee into the Main 4" line. This will be a difficult place to send the drain auger, unless there is a 2" clean out access. The washing machine standpipe would be the next best place to try.

• boops2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all who replied. Turns out the cleanout was under the front deck and blowing it out from there resulted in clearing the clog.All is well and working fine.

• fatimi_sadiq
    8 years ago

Hi i have almost the same problem my basement sewer is backing up two time with a little sand and water in one week .some one can help me please what is going on? Thanks

• kuanyinann
    7 years ago

We too are getting sand backing up from the sink into the tub at the cabin (we just opened for the season). There is a septic tank. This happened 2 or 3 years ago. But this time, the tub and sink are clogged. Only the tub was clogged before. Then we used the shop vac to suck up the water and sand. This isn't working now. What should we try next? Help.

• User
    7 years ago

You may have a saturated drain field, in which case you will have to replace it - $$$$. You could have a broken line going to your septic, or roots in the line, in which case the line should be replaced (once roots get in, they will continue to do so), - $$$. Or you could simply have a blockage in the line to the septic that a roto rooter can fix - $.

Get a plumber/drain cleaner out to take a look, preferably one that can run a camera down the line to take a look.

• freireville05
    6 years ago

I’m having an issue with my kitchen sink. It stops draining from time to time. I took out the plug by the outside wall by the kitchen and ran a hose down the drain line to flush it. Sand came out. This is the only drain that I’m having trouble with. All other drain always have been draining fine. I live in southern Louisiana in St. Bernard parish. It was redone after hurricane Katrina. Do y’all think I have a busted drain? It’s only this sink, so hopefully it’s just this line and not the main line. What do y’all think?

• HU-609519824
    3 years ago

I live in an apartment building that's fairly old and I've noticed that when I run water in the tub there's sand like substance or if you take a shower you can see very fine grain of sand like substance what could this be

I noticed my skin is very itchy and breaking out in a rash