Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If sand shows up backing into tub... means break in sewer?

Posted by Boops2012 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 20:07

My toilet starts backing up so we flush with the bladder thing that forces water thru(sorry dont know what its called) removed the toilet and auger-to discover its leaking from the disintegrating collar thing. Replace all that. Now when doing laundry, sand and debris come up in the tub. I suspect theres a break,I want to get a pro to scope the length of old cast iron pipe that still exists under the slab.The house-to-street run was replaced w/ PVC about 20 yrs ago. How can sand enter a closed system? It would indicate a break ,right? Someone tell me Im right or wrong.Sorry for not knowing the terminology.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If sand shows up backing into tub... means break in sewer?

It could be a break, or it could just be a partially plugged line. The blockage could be in your line,in the city line, or where your line connects to the city drain. You'll need to get it looked at either way.

o

"How can sand enter a closed system? It would indicate a break ,right? Someone tell me Im right or wrong."

Nothing you describe indicates a broken drain line. Everything points to a clogged drain line.

Sand collects in the P-trap of the tub. It washes off people's feet. No mystery here.

The pipes are clogged, not broken. When the washing machine drains, it backs up from the clog, which is downstream from where the bathroom and laundry drains converge. You need to have the lines snaked. I would bet the clog is in a 2" line, right before the Tee into the Main 4" line. This will be a difficult place to send the drain auger, unless there is a 2" clean out access. The washing machine standpipe would be the next best place to try.

o

Thanks all who replied. Turns out the cleanout was under the front deck and blowing it out from there resulted in clearing the clog.All is well and working fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here