Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
By pass diagram needed for series water heaters

Posted by lsst (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 19:17

Hello,
I am replacing both my electric 50 gallon water heaters. I have 2 in series and that has worked well for us.

I want to bypass with shut off valves so that if one heater has a problem, I can bypass, repair or replace it without having to shut down the other heater.

Can some one direct me to a diagram or help me with the best way to accomplish this?

The cold water enters the tank on the right and the hot exits the tank on the left.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: By pass diagram needed for series water heaters

Modify your piping as indicated in the picture below. Use full-port, quarter-turn valves. During normal operation with both water heaters in use, valves 2 and 5 are closed and the others are open. To block in the water heater on the right and use the one on the left, open valve 2 and close valves 1 and 3. To block in the water heater on the left and continue to use the one on the right, open valve 5 and close valves 4 and 6.

o

A standard bypass would use three full flow ball valves, which flow better than the gate valve you have on the right side pipe.

Standard bypass solution
1 - for each water heater, add a ball valve in both vertical pipes (you can reuse the gate valve, but a ball valve would be better)
2 - for each water heater, put a T in each vertical pipe at a point higher than the ball you first installed valve; run a pipe directly across between the T fittings and put a ball valve in that horizontal pipe

Normal operation for each water heater - left and right valves in the vertical pipes are open; valve in horizontal pipe closed
Bypass: close the valves in the left and right vertical pipes and open the valve in the horizontal cross pipe, water will run through the horizontal pipe and bypass the heater

You can also do a google search for a water softener bypass and find a lot of diagrams online.

Bruce

o

Thank You!
I saw diagrams for water softeners but I was not sure they would apply to my situation.
You guys are great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here