Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water getting trapped btwn counter and cabinet

Posted by dziadzia (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 18:32

We just bought a house that has a drop in sink in the kitchen. We've found that water gets caught between the bottom of the counter top and the false fronts for the sink. Is there something I can do to diagnose this? I'm all for being "careful" when washing dishes but I can't help thinking that maybe the sink wasn't properly installed or something.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water getting trapped btwn counter and cabinet

It sounds like a gap in the plumber's putty or caulk, or none at all, between the rim of the sink and the counter top. I'd recommend removing the sink and doing a proper installation.
If any partical board is used in the construction of the counter or cabinet, it will swell when it absorbs water and is not repairable.

o
RE: Water getting trapped btwn counter and cabinet

take a look at the photos 2. and 3. below halfway on page. woman in purple-blue shirt/blouse dropping stainless sink into black 'formica' counter: http://knol.google.com/k/kitchen-faucet-installation
i like to seal (just one coat wall primer or whatever primer) the cut edge and underside of the particle board.
also, don't use putty. use the "35 year" (or whatever higher number of years) siliconized latex. don't need caulk with mildew additive, because exposed gap under sink rim edge is super narrow (and counter is food prep surface).
you might check if the clips in photo 3. are tight and are pressing against firm particle board (not become fluffy)
i like to use more clips. 3 on each side, 4 front and 4 rear. ss sink rims are not always straight (maybe because I've reinstalled the used sinks more often than installing new ones ;-) )

if you creatively brace behind the parts going saggy, you can keep it going for years. it takes time, and edges of epoxy or caulk may show. I've fixed soaked shower tile on sheetrock (big no-no from the 1970s) One has lasted for more than a decade. the other i heard was renovated (modernized), but was probably still good.
1960's formica counter with separate splash was gapping. I epoxied "1/4 round" aluminum to close the joint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here