Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmw0829

What Should We Do? Plumber Installed Wrong Hot Water Heater

cmw0829
14 years ago

A plumbing company replaced our hot water tank that was damaged by basement flooding. They came same day (a plus since our plumber was out of town). We asked for, and I heard them order, a 10-year Bradford White tank.

They installed a 6-year tank. The invoice states that it's warranted for 10-years. When we called about the discrepancy, they said they warrant the tank for 10 years, non-prorated. We'd pay labor only if it went before that. We asked for this in writing - 2 weeks later we haven't received anything.

However, in thinking about it, we've been disadvantaged:

- They say the tank should surpass warranted life, lasting at least 10 years. But then wouldn't a 10-year last maybe 15 years?

- We'd be responsible for labor only to replace the tank if it failed before 10 years. If so, we'll incur this cost sooner than if a 10-year had been installed.

- We're now tied to this company from years 6 to 10 and don't have any real control over the cost to install a new tank.

I'd like to stop the credit card payment and have them yank the thing out but it's not practical. But I do believe that I am due some adjustment. The cost was $250 over what our regular plumber charged to install a 10-year tank a year ago. I think they inflated the job, judging by an estimate they gave us to provide a sump pump, which we later purchased from a local supply company for half their estimate.

We would value your input on how to proceed with this. Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)