Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
locating water main pipe inside

Posted by tl2012 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 18:21

I am trying to get to the water main once inside the house, I located where it is outside, however, it appears to be coming in from a decorative facade. I am trying to determine where can I make the least intrusive cut out in the garage, and a easy dry wall fix once i am done.

i am attaching the 2 drawings, and number of locations i am guessing i should be cutting. any advise would be great. i really dread drywall fixing, so that's priority number 1.

the goal is to attach one of those electromagnetic water treatment device to the pipes (lets skip the debate over this, since i am doing it as an experiment).

thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: locating water main pipe inside

here's where i think i am going to cut looking at the right corner of the garage facing out.

o

I located where it is outside, however, it appears to be coming in from a decorative facade

I have no idea what this means. Could you take a picture of the outside?

o

thanks greg, here's a picture, note the main pipe goes in the wall pretty forward, that's why I don't think cutting the side wall will work. thanks.

o

Is it going in right behind the red handle for your hose?

I don't think cutting into the front wall will do you any good. There would be no reason for the pipe to go there. Think about where the line would run inside the walls. If it goes in near the front of the garage, then it would probably make an immediate turn and head straight towards the house. So cut into the sidewall at the same height that it enters from the outside.

o

as luck would have it. there is absolutely nothing in the side wall. when i tried to cut the front wall, i am hitting a board of some sort.

my guess is that it is entering at the angle where neither wall can get to it, then goes up immediately then start traveling towards the water heater and the rest of the house.

i am thinking I should cut along the roof where #5 is but on the side wall.

o

Hi, Just an idea. Get a mechanics stethescope ( Habor Freight Think cheap). Run the water at the furthest distance away. Water makes a lot of noise when running. With stethescope you may be able to trace the line.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here