Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify this Gas Valve?

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 18:09

I know this is a gas pipe but wanted to confirm what kind and if the square portion pointed out with the arrow is the SHUTOFF.... if I turn it left it will shut gas off correct?

http://tinyurl.com/7kcjdw3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify this Gas Valve?

o

Turning it 90 degrees clockwise (right) should turn it off.

o

I meant to say right to turn off, my mistake. So you think its a quarter turn and not one that I would continue to turn past 90 till it seats to turn it off?

o

Quarter turn.

It likely will just continue turning, and at 180 degrees will be open again.

The passage is a hole drilled though the piece you are turning.
Aligned with the pipe gas passes through, 90 degrees and no gas passes through.

If you look carefully at the top of the square there should be some marking that indicates open and closed.

o

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunetly there are no markings that acutally say "open" or "closed" however, if you look at the photo at the link above. The square portion of the valve (the shutoff) is in the on position in a diamond like position. In the center of the "diamond" there is a circle with 2 arrows on top and bottom one pointing up and down.

This is in the on position I assume if I turn the arrows to point left and right it will be inthe off position. Unless they are just insignificant markings on the valve, do you think these indicate "open and closed"?

I hope my questioning is not silly I just never seen a valve with a shutoff that didnt have a handle...

o

"The square portion of the valve (the shutoff) is in the on position in a diamond like position. In the center of the "diamond" there is a circle with 2 arrows on top and bottom one pointing up and down. "

That is all the marking they often have.

Sometimes it is just a casting line.

o

SO Brickeye.. this casting mark, if the arrows are in the side position (square still in diamond position) then the valve is closed..... generally speaking of course.

o

If te line on the valve is across the pipe flow is blocked.

If it is parallel to the pipe flow is open.
Just like the handle on a ball valve.

Parallel is on, perpendicular is off.

You need to be aware these are maintenance valves, and not designed for a lot of use.

using them more than once every few years is liable to result in leaks.

The valve 'packing' is often just finely ground mating surfaces in the valve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here