Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add an inline filter to fridge

Posted by mzdee (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 17:52

I have an older Admiral fridge that is working well. I need to add a filter (pre-dates built in inline filters). I have copper tubing from the water source and then some plastic tubing running up the back of the fridge. Am I correct in assuming that this is the water line? Where do I go from here once I have the filter. Online directions are a bitg confusing as they refer to both copper and plastic water lines.
I know I sound dumb, but I've accomplished quite a few things DIY with advice from these forums. Help me out. Please.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add an inline filter to fridge

Why not cut the filter in on the incoming line?

1) Turn off the valve.
If you have access to the copper line that supplies the icemaker. Follow the copper line back, you should have a valve or some means of shutting off the icemaker. Typically it would be in the basement or under the kitchen sink.

2) Determine filter tappings / purchase adapters if necessary:
The tubing is probably 1/4" copper tubing, so you will need to adapt from the tappings on the filter to 1/4". I don't know what tappings your filter will have, lets just say 1/2" ips (female threads). You will need to get 1/2" male x 1/4" compression adapters and install them to the tappings.

3) Mount the filter.
I would not recommend leaving the weight of the filter on compression fittings. There should be some way of securing / mounting the filter. The filter will be directional (there will be an in and out). Be sure to mount in the direction of flow.

4) Plumbing connections.
Cut the copper tubing with a tubing cutter, and place the nut and ferrule on to the bare ends of the copper, and insert the copper into the adapters on the filter. You can apply some thread sealant to the connection if you want, but it isn't necessary. Slide the nut ferrule up to meet the adapter, make sure the copper doesn't slide out, and start the ferrule a few threads by hand. These fine thread connections are easily damaged if cross threaded. The secret is to make sure the tubing is lined up perfectly, straight and even with fitting. Tighten, turn on and test.

Start pulling some water out of the fridge...bingo bango...filter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here