Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whole house softener first, or filtration first? and more Q's

Posted by mudworm (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 17:51

In my naive view, it makes sense for the water to go through the softener first, and then the whole house filtration. But the system in our basement seems to be backwards. Is it screwed up?

We purchased our house 4+ years ago. They were already (installed in 2004 according to the disclosure). We never paid attention to either of the systems. Now, we decided to pull our acts together and do the proper maintenance.

Water Softener: 5600 Econominder
Filtration: Auqasana EQ-300 after two pre-filtration (20 micros and 5 microns).

For the filtration, we seem to just need to order the EQ-300 and the filter cartridges and replace the whole system (pretty much).

For the water softener, I think we should rinse out the brine tank (looks a little gunky) and start adding salt. I think we need to figure out the settings. There is nothing we can/should do about the resin tank, correct?

Did I forget anything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whole house softener first, or filtration first? and more Q's

Well, yes and no.

Inasmuch as you seem to know little about such things I would recommend you hire someone to straighten you out and get you launched. Learn from them. You'll be able to handle it yourself after that, I'll bet.

Household water supply is basic. Needs to be right. Don't pretend you know stuff that you don't. Due respect to members of the forum, I recommend you get a knowledgeable person on-site.

o

Typical water treatment should be: First: particulate filtration (most of the other treatments steps can't handle the solids) - your prefilters perform this function. Second: Chlorine (city water -softeners are damaged by chlorine) and VOC filtration, typically GAC (carbon) - your EQ-300 performs this function. Third: Iron, sulfates, manganese (not typically necessary with most water). Fourth: hardness - the softener takes care of this.

So, your setup is most likely in the correct order. You do want to get someone with expertise to look at it though. At present, you have no idea what type of shape any of the equipment is in - a water treatment pro can help.

o

Hi aliceinwonderland_id , thanks for reassuring me that the installation was right. I thought it would be because the plumbing seemed to be well thought out in the basement, but just wanted to confirm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here