Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
double bathroom sink to 1-1/2' drain?

Posted by spk1968 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 16:42

Is it safe to hook up a double bathroom sink to a 1-1/2" drain? I've had 3 plumbers give me bids on my bathroom remodel. The first two didn't say anything about the drain; and the 3rd one said I would need a 2" drain. I have a plumbing book that says a 1-1/2" should handle 3 units. There will be nothing else in that branch. In fact, the previous arrangement had a single sink and a bathtub going to the exact same drain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: double bathroom sink to 1-1/2' drain?

Will depend on your city code. I live in San Antonio Texas and the city code required 2" for a double drain system

o

to be precise about it, the answer will come after you re-specify whether you meant 1.5" before the P trap or after the P trap, and whether you meant the two drains are combined onto one P trap or not and so on. These different pipe segments may be governed by different rules, which do vary from place to place. In general you are right that 1.5" is OK and that it is safe to hook up a double bathroom sink to a 1-1/2" drain, and so the most likely answer is no to the one guy who wanted a 2" drain. BUT there may be other things you need to tell us. Ask the 2" drain plumber what made him specify 2".

o

It would depend upon which code they are under.

A lavatory is rated at 1dfu.

Under the IRC an 1-1/2" horizontal line is rated for a maximum load of 3 dfu's.

Under the UPC an 1-1/2" line is rated for a maximum of 1 dfu, which would be one lavatory. Adding a second lavatory would make the combined load 2dfu's and it would require a 2" line.

Under UPC two lavatories could be combined into one common trap connected to an 1-1/2" line provided the horizontal center to center distance between the two lavatory drain openings does not exceed 30"

o

I am assuming you have a vertical pipe in the wall, and will have an 1 1/2" sanitary cross cut in. In this case you should be fine as long as the piping is vertical at the tie in. UPC allows two fixture units on 1 1/2" when vertical.

Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Universal Plumbing Code PDF

o

UPC is Uniform Plumbing Code, NOT Universal.

IRC is International Plumbing Code.

They are the two most common model codes in the US, often adopted with at least some state or local alterations.

Call your AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction, the inspectors) to find out what code you are under, and any local alterations.
We have had a long history in the US of competing code making authorities.

The more removed from doing actual plumbing work the code writing folks are the worse the codes seem to become.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here