Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backup for Sump Pump

Posted by cactuscatie (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 16:23

We need to get a backup generator for our sump pump. Something that would be easy for my mom in case the power goes out when we are away and would run for a reasonable amount of time. I'm asking for suggestions or best generator to do the job.

Thanks all..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backup for Sump Pump

I'm looking at a generator that Costco sells. It runs on gas and goes on automatically even if you aren't home when the power goes out. It costs $2k. I plan to ask my electrician about it.

Centurion Residential Standby Generators

A link that might be useful.

www.centuriongenerators.com/products/standbygenerators/
residential/residential.aspx

o

Unless you want the generator for other purposes, also, you should investigate battery powered back-up sump pumps. The ones I've installed run off of a 12v car battery which stays fully charged by means of a battery monitor/trickle charger. Depending on the demand rate, the battery charge is good for several days of a power outage.

o

If you are supplied by municipal water, take a look at the water powered pumps. We have the Liberty SJ-10 and are very happy with it.

It actually earned its keep a few weeks ago and saved us from water entering the basement when I accidentally left the power supply to the sump pump off (I had been tracing circuits and missed a breaker when I was turning them back on).

o

We originally looked at the Centurion. We called our electrician and he said we have to submit an application to the city, than an application to the gas company and than the gas company comes to look at our gas lines, blah, blah, blah. Seems to be more trouble than anything. We are mostly concerned about the sump pump.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will look into the electric and water backups.

o

Randy427.........what are the best battery powered back up sump pumps? There are quite a few out there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here