Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Softener Choice

Posted by Savingmoney (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 15:43

Hello, we have hard water with 1.8 ppm iron and 3.7 gpg solids.
The pH is 7.
I am looking at a Culligan high efficiency softener, which is about $2,000. Previously, I was looking at purchasing a softener with a Fleck control from a online store for about $750. Now, I was wondering, is Culligan worth the $1,250 extra. If I did go with Culligan, I would get a 99 days tryout, free installation, and a longer warranty. The Fleck control softener would be cheaper, with a shorter warranty and I would have to pay $250 to $350 for a plumber to install.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice?
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Softener Choice

Culligan is not worth anything more. I cannot begin to tell you the problems that we've had with their products in multiple applications. The quality of their water softener's are poor, they require frequent repair, and Culligan is not willing to stand up to their warranty. We had one model that had been installed by Culligan fail within 30 days of installation and flood our neighbor. They replaced it with the same model, the same seal failed, and once again our neighbors were flooded. In the end, Culligan had to be sued to meet their warranty obligations.

In contrast to Culligan, Kinetico has been absolutely trouble-free, is a much better design, and uses a fraction of the salt that the Culligan unit was consuming.

o
RE: Water Softener Choice

First, a few questions:

1. Well water of city water?
2. How many people in the home? Do you expect this number to change within the next few years?
3. How many bathrooms?
4. Any high-water-use fixtures, such as a jetted tub or multi-head shower?
5. Have you had your water tested by a certified lab?
6. Any color or odor in your water?
7. What size softener is Culligan recommending?

Personally, I am not a fan of Culligan. I find them to be overpriced and their techs to be under-educated, but that may just be my own bias and not a reflection of your local Culligan folks. If you have other local water treatment companies, it may be worthwhile to get them out to provide a bid as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here