Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who has retrofitted an old toilet to low-flow/dual flush? x-post

Posted by drbeanie2000 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 15:32

Experiences? Our toilets are the originals to our 1954 house, and we want to keep them. Can they be transformed into more water-saving devices?

beanie

cross-posted in bathrooms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who has retrofitted an old toilet to low-flow/dual flush? x-p

NO- the amount of water required to effect a flush is determined by the diameter, height & shape of the trapway in the bowl. Simply changing to a tank that would feed less water will not work.

o

The toilet manufacturers tried all sort of changes to bowl shape to make the low flow toilets function (and some 'sort of' function, while others require more than one flush, negating any water savings except a VERY old toilet).

The bowl and paths from tank to bowl all got changed.

You need to make sure any change you make ensures that the bowl (and the concealed s-trap) are filled after flushing.

There are actually standards about how much water must be in the trap to make an effective seal.

o

I'm not sure if low-flow and dual-flush kits are the same or different, but on the latter I did try to retrofit an original 1961 American Standard toilet with a dual-flush retrofit kit. The kit is similar to a toilet tank repair kit and replaces the toilet flap and handle inside the tank.

Anyway didn't work, as the original flap contraption included this large metal piece that looked like it couldn't be removed without lifting the tank off the bowl, and I didn't want to risk taking apart the entire toilet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here