Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Considering an undercounter RO system

Posted by JohnnyToronto (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 15:27

Hi all. Doing a kitchen Reno and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good, low volume system. I went to my local water store today and they recommended either Watts or Hydrotech (5 stage). I would appreciate any assistance with this decision. thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Considering an undercounter RO system

Do you know what your water quality is now?

o

No, but I think its pretty good. It's city water and I live just outside Of Toronto, Canada.

o

Ok, then. You don't know.

Why is it, then, that you want to process further? Does it taste bad, for example? Are you suspicious of other stuff that may be in it? What's your motivation?

Not trying to give you grief. Just wondering what your purpose may be. They are expensive and do require maintenance. Don't yet know why you want to do this.

I know nothing about the water supply in your area. These are innocent questions.

o

Fair question. I like the taste better of RO water (we currently use bottled RO) and also, I have an espresso habit and want to prevent scale buildup in my expensive machine.

o

Ah....there we go. Getting it, now.

Be advised that pretty much all RO systems work exactly the same way. No variation in principal, only in product -- the actual product quality being very difficult for the average consumer to evaluate.

Basically pre-filter/membrane/storage-tank/post-filter. If you need more than that, there must be additional reason.

There have been a LOT of posts here about RO. Suggest using search function to find what's come before. Three really is a lot available. And by some very competent/experienced people.

You didn't say whether or not your "local water store" was previously known and/or trusted by you. And you didn't say whether you, yourself, are comfortable with DIY project like this or what your competence level may be....or not you want to do it or have someone else do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here