Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Drainage - Outside

Posted by mav3481 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 15:23

All,

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but it has to deal with PVC :-)

I'm looking to take two downspouts from the front of my house and direct them into a PVC 6" pipe buried about 8 inches down and sloped to allow the water to run off. I would then tunnel under the sidewalk and out towards the street.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan or using PVC? I know I could use a weeping tile drain type of system so I can collect from the yard as well, but I'm just trying to get this away from my "pool" next to my porch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Drainage - Outside

The flexible weeping hose can get clogged with silt and roots. The rigid smooth-wall pvc is most resistant to clogging, depending on what comes down the drainpipe.
You might also want to address the slope of the ground around the house if water tends to pool there. It should slope at least 1/4" per foot away from the foundation.

o
RE: Water Drainage - Outside

Randy,

It's not so much that water pools, its that the gutters/downspouts can't handle the water (it drains probably 1/3 of the house through one downspout - being replaced soon).

I'll stick with the PVC since it'll only be rainwater to get rid of. I just wanted to make sure that someone else would think it was a good idea also.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here