Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water heater

Posted by Beth307 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 14:30

The heated water in my home doesn't last through a 20 min shower & it takes hours for it to replenish the hot water in the tank. I have a 30 gallon tank in my home. It was there when I bought the house 3 years ago. I was told it was relatively new - less than 10 years old at that time.
I don't know if I need to replace my current water heater with a larger capacity water heater, or if there is just something wrong with it...maybe sediment. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water heater

Electric water heater?

If you have a new-ish shower head, it's 2.5 gallons per minute. If you're using half hot/half cold, that rate will come close to using all the hot water in 20 min. An average quality electric water heater can take several hours to reheat from a cold water start.

Solutions to allow a longer shower include getting a lower flow shower head (if you have an older one with a higher flow rate), turn the water pressure down (don't turn it on so hard), take a "Navy shower" (turn the pressure down or off when soaping) and turning up the water heater temp setting (but be careful of the burn risk, especially if there are children in the home). OR, get a larger water heater.

o

If it is an electric water heater, it is possible one of the heating elements is burned out. There are usually 2 elements, and if one is burned out it will heat water, but very slowly. Just a guess.

Norm

o

I have a two-bath/washer/dishwasher home. I wouldn't have less that 50 gallons in my house.

o

Thanks for the info. I forgot to list that the water heater is gas not electric.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here