Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vincent_88_gw

Please Help - Need Water Softener Recommendation

Vincent.88
10 years ago

Hello!

Thank you in advance for everyone here that can help! I need a recommendation for my water softener.

1. 4 Adults and 3 Toddlers
2. 2100SQ House
3. 1" Water Pipe
4. Water Hardness Range = 150-260ppm
5. Iron = Close To ZERO
6. pH = 7.5 - 7.9
7. TDS = 210-540ppm
8. Full water report = http://www.sgvwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2012_SGVWC_CCR.pdf

I am looking at getting the Fleck 9100SXT.
a. How many grain should I get?
b. Which resin media should I get (SST-60, Purolite, Fine Mesh)
c. Should I get Res-Care Feeder?
d. Standard or Vortex Brine?
e. Media Guard KDF recommended?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Comments (14)

• User
    10 years ago

Thank you for the complete information. I have some questions before I can make any recommendations.

1. What is your reason for wanting a twin-tank softener? Do you now, or foresee yourself in the future, using water 24/7?

2. Are your water costs such that you would prefer to use more salt and conserve water, or do you prefer higher salt efficiency? Given your water conditions, we can go either way.

3. Do you have any high water-use fixtures such as a multi-head shower or jetted tub?

• Vincent.88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your replied aliceinwonderland. Here are my reply to your questions.

1. Yes. I foresee my family using water 24/7.

2. I prefer higher salt efficiency. I am planning to use Diamond Crystal 40 lb. Potassium Chloride Water Softening Pellets.

3. We have 3 full bath and usually 2 are running at the same time. There are two master bath that I plan to have mutli-head shower.

Thanks in Advance!

This post was edited by Vincent.88 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 10:05

• Vincent.88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can anyone else assist? Thanks!

• User
    10 years ago

My home internet is having problems, so I can't provide a lot of detail at the moment. However, with a twin tank system you could go with 2, 1.5 cubic ft tanks. You would regen a tank every 3-5 days. You may wish to consider two 2.0cubic ft tanks, however, with the High water use fixtures, particularly if you expect to use more than one at a time.

I can provide more detail later, but , in a nutshell: No kdf, no vortex (get a gravel underbed), 10% crosslinked American or German made resin, no res-care since you don't have iron.

• User
    10 years ago

Deleted double post

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 15:55

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Home Depot partners with Rain Soft. My husband encountered the sales person who wanted to come here and test our water. He agreed because our water is HARD! If you put a mug with some logo on it, the hard water will destroy it. We have a lot of pure white mugs now.

We did buy the system. Whole house. And our dishwasher makes everything sparkle. Prior to getting the system, I paid big bucks for LemmeShine.

Get the system.

• Vincent.88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you AliceInWonderland!!!

Should I get gravel or garnet? If so, how much do I need?

Thank you!

• User
    10 years ago

You need enough gravel to just about fill the bottom dome of the tank. If you go with two-2.0 cuft tanks, then about 27# of gravel.

Garnet is denser and more expensive. In a softener, where the media is not very dense by comparison you don't get any extra benefit from the garnet, so just get the gravel.

Here is the complete list of requirements:

• High quality American or German made resin. This will provide a tight size distribution for optimal flow within the resin

• Since you have CITY WATER: 10% crosslinked resin. The oxidizers that city water treatment plants use, such as chlorine or chloramine, are harmful to softener resins. Higher crosslinking will resist chemical attack longer.

• Top basket. This serves two purposes. It sets up a proper water distribution during normal operation and prevents resin loss during backwash.

• Gravel underbed. The gravel underbed is there to set up proper flow patterns, improve backwash, keep the bottom basket in place, prevent basket failure, and prevent channeling. Many softener sales companies like to leave this out or sell softeners with a vortex system instead. Vortex systems weigh less than gravel so they cost less to ship. In addition, they are a more expensive item that adds profit for the softener salesperson, but provides no additional benefit to the homeowner . It simply adds another piece of equipment that can break.

• Fleck or Clack valves. These set the industry standard. Be aware that you will not be able to purchase Clack valves online. This is not a problem if you purchase locally.

• The valve should regen based on water usage, not time.

• Noryl bypass. Most softeners are available with either Noryl or stainless bypass valves. Both are good valves, but the noryl tends to be more reliable when not used for long periods of time.

• Install the softener with a three-valve bypass. This will make it so much easier if you ever need to remove the softener for repairs or wish to take it with you when you move. Use full-port, quarter-turn valves.

• User
    10 years ago

For some reason, Gardenweb keeps reposting. Deleted again.

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 13:24

• Vincent.88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you AliceInWonderland!!!

I know what I need to order now. Thanks for all the help!

• Vincent.88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello AliceInWonderland!

So I have ordered the Fleck 9100SXT 64K grain. Here is the specs:

Fleck 9100 SXT 64,000 (TOTAL 128,000) Dual Tank System Includes:

Fleck 9100SXT On Demand Metered Control
    2 Cu.Ft.(per tank) High Capacity Resin 8% Crosslink
    3/4" or 1" Bypass in Stainless Steel Or Noryl Plastic
    12x48 Resin Tanks (10x54 Tanks with Turbulators)
    18x33 Brine Tank
    Salt Grid
    2310 Safety Overflow Assembly

System Specifications:

Service Flow Rate: 14 GPM @ 15 psi drop
    Required Backwash Rate: 3.0 gpm
    Regeneration Type: Meter Initiated
    Electrical Power Requirements: 120v/60hz.
    Warranty: Control 5 Years/ Tanks 10 Years
    Dimensions (WxDxH): 51x18x56

I went with the 10% Resin as you recommended. The sale reps said that I didn't need underbedding gravel as it is a small system. It will reduce the flowrate. Can you confirm this?

Thank you!

• User
    10 years ago

You need the gravel. It most definitely will not reduce the flow rate. Failure to get gravel will result in premature damage to the bottom basket. Dealers just don't like to ship gravel because it us heavy.

• User
    10 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 9:16

• Vincent.88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello AliceInWonderland!

I have finally installed by Fleck 9100SXT 64K Grain. Can you tell me the most efficient way to setup my Fleck SXT Timer?

Thanks in Advance!!!