Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faucet for Reverse Osmosis (RO) System

Posted by 4mom23girls (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 14:02

Hi all...

We are getting a Kohler Vinnata Faucet in Vibrant Stainless Steel (already delivered). We plan on purchasing the Watts Premier Reverse Osmosis System from Costco (under sink system). I'm trying to find a beverage faucet for this RO System that coordinates with the Kohler faucet. After some research, I understand the Kohler Wellspring beverage faucet won't work as it doesn't support RO systems. Though the look is spot on. I also found a Waterstone Hampton faucet that supports ROs, but there isn't a Stainless Steel option (only satin chrome and satin nickel). Anyone have a coordinating faucet for your Reverse Osmosis that coordinates with your Vinnata?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faucet for Reverse Osmosis (RO) System

We just used the faucet which came with the system (Culligan). Didn't match but we didn't have a choice. After a while, you don't pay attention to it anymore!

Jane

o

You should be able to use any faucet, as long as the faucet can handle the low flow rate. The trick will be getting the proper fitting to to do the hose connection.

Just remember, the flow from the RO system might be the problem because you'll definitely be able to find the hose adapters to get it to work.

o

I wonder if the warning has not to do with flow rate or pressure, but with the corrosive nature of RO water. Being so pure, RO water is supposedly highly aggressive against some metals, including copper piping. This could not only corrode the fixture over time, but also leaches metals into the drinking water. Brass and high-quality stainless are supposed to be more inert, or inert plastic liners inside the fixture.

One reason I didn't run my retrofit RO drinking water to my plumbed in coffeemaker or to my refrigerator icemaker, as I had runs of copper tubing in the walls to those appliances.

o

Water is the universal solvent and when it is stripped of pretty much every thing except the H and the O it wants all that stuff back and will leach metals and minerals from anything it comes in contact with.

Every RO faucet I've seen notes "lead free" so materials are a consideration.

I have my RO plumbed with PE to it's RO faucet, the ice maker in the fridge, and to an Opod commercial grade coffe maker with no problems in 15+ years.

o

I have the Opod too! The problem is the in-wall 1/4" copper line it is plumbed to. The RO output would have to go undersink to the copper line, to keep the Opod on the countertop have a clean plumbed -in look.

o

I ran PE through the side of the under sink area into the sheet rock, up, and back out to the the Opod. From the front of the Opod you can't see a thing. If you can't plumb PE to the Opod then put the cap back on the Opod inlet and use a pitcher. It is worth the trouble... great ice cubes and Kona to die for.

o

Anything for Kona. Tear into the wall!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here