Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to completely close old floor drain in basement.

Posted by thetimmins (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 13:55

I'm adding a basement bathroom in my 1925 house in Minneapolis. I have some questions about covering an old floor drain and capping off a galvanized steel drain from the utility sink. Both drains connect to the main sewer line under the slab in places that I do not intend to excavate. I am at the point now where I have opened the floor and found my main cast iron sewer pipe buried six inches under the slab.

The floor drain is currenly right inside the door to the bathroom. There is a 1" deep slope down to the drain. The sloping area is 2' diameter so it is very much in the way and it is not needed since the shower drain will act as a the new floor drain. I want to plug this drain up and completely cover it and the slope with cement and the tile over it. I wonder what the best way to do this would be. I don't want whatever I plug it up with eventually working its way loose and pluging things up further down the line. I also don't want wet cement finding its way into the main sewer line.

The utility sink drain will no longer be needed and I'll need to cut it and cap it off under the slab. What is the best way to do this. Do I have to worry about sewer gas build up in either of these drains. The utility sink drain was hooked up to a secondary vent which will no be used for my new bathroom.

I have attached a picture below for clarification.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to completely close old floor drain in basement.

you may use test plug on the floor drain or cut it off and cap it. Then cement over it.

For the utility sink drain cut it off below the floor and cap it, Fernco has rubber caps for varying pipe sizes. These should be readily available at any home improvement store

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here