Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
semi_gw

Five year old Weil-Mclain Indirect Water Heater is leaking!

semi
14 years ago

A steady drip of water is coming out of the "button" located toward the bottom of my 40 gal. boiler fired indirect water heater. The button is rusted.

Does this mean the end of my water heater? Why is that "button" there? No pipe attached to it, and it doesn't appear to have any function at all.

Five years on a regular electric tank, yes, I would expect it to start to die. But this fancy new model? I'm shocked and upset if the fix is to replace it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Semi:

Comments (6)

• baymee
    14 years ago

A picture would be helpful.

• semi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of my tank. I did have my furnace company over this morning to look again at it. I recently had them replace a faulty thermostat on the tank and showed them the leak, which they counselled me to watch.

They believe my tank is actually leaking from the top, thus the rusted out thermostat and the leaking down the sides of the heater.

They gave me two choices. I could replace an o-ring on the top of the tank and hope for a fix (paying only labor and the cost of the fix kit, they are hoping that is under warranty) or replace the tank entirely with a larger stainless tank (I am not entirely certain I understand what kind, but will not purchase until I do some homework).

I did tell them I was rather dismayed to be replacing this expensive tank earlier than I would be replacing a cheaper electric tank. They do want me to stick with the indirect tank, not to go electric, but I'm so unsettled that this first tank seems to be shot.

I do probably need a bigger tank since I am now a family of six, with four growing (but young) children.

I am also going to begin a house renovation, kitchen and three baths, next month. This just isn't money I was prepared to spend right now, but understand this is maintenance money.

Would you go with a temporary fix, or replace. Any other thoughts on how I could prevent this again?

I am not on a well.

Semi:

• Raymond Pineiro
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Simi, yes the black plug on the bottom of the tank is, in fact, the injection port for the 2" insulation surrounding the tank. having said that, I have some bad news & not so bad news, I KNOW I HAVE THE GOLD-PLUS 60!!! so I"ll try to let you know what happened with my recent experience. first, your gold plus series tank has a lifetime residential warranty, good news right! not so fast my friend the gold plus series line has been discontinued, the replacement is not the same in a lot of ways. For one thing, all of the ports have been changed so your existing domestic hot & cold lines will have to be replumbed as well as your recirculated auxiliary lines if you have them. but wait it doesn't end there the boiler supply lines are not in the same location either and have now been reduced from 1/14" port fittings to 1" ports thus effecting hot water recovery times. You see our tanks were not made by Weil-Mclain, but another Co. ACV Triangle Tube for Weil-Mclain. The ACV Co. Triangle Tube is still in business and makes a direct replacement for your gold plus 40 and any upgrade you may need. much much more I could tell you about in my research feel free to contact me about warranty issues and how to get a free replacement for your not so old 40 hang in there friend, there's an old song that says things are going to get easier SOMEDAY! my regards to the family, hope this helps you. By the way, I would not waste any more money on that unit as someone else has already commented if you're domestic tank was filled first those welds were stressed and nothing is going to fix that, and that would account for the short lifespan of your unit By for now.

• User
    5 years ago

Kindly look at the date for the original post.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

aliceinwonderland_id, what's 8 years, lol.