Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a sump pump be used to drain a laundry sink?

Posted by arley (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 12:58

Greetings:

I have a cellar which has a pit where a boiler used to be; at the bottom of that pit is a sump pump. It doesn't accumulate much water except in heavy rains. I replaced the pump about 2 years ago.

I'm thinking about putting in a laundry sink in the cellar. (There's a floor over the boiler pit.) Now the sink would see very little use, and the easiest way to drain it would be to run a length of drain pipe toward the sump pit, allowing the pump to take care of that drainage.

Or would it be better to have a separate pump for the sink? Is the only downside of using the sump pump to handle the sink's drainage is that it might shorten the life of the pump a bit?

If it's better to have a separate pump, anybody have any recommendations as to brands and models of pumps? This will be pumping wash water only, no sewage.

TIA for any comments and guidance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a sump pump be used to drain a laundry sink?

The sink needs a sealed crock and a sewage ejection pump. even if it is only serving a sink.

Sump pumps do not last long in this application unless the water is completely clean (no dirt, lint, trash, etc.)

o
RE: Can a sump pump be used to drain a laundry sink?

Thanks for the info.

I kinda figured that if it was an easy solution it wouldn't be right. Okay, looks like I have to start shopping.

Would the item at the link be satisfactory?

Here is a link that might be useful: saniflo pump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here