Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want to replace 10 showerheads with low flows -recommendations?

Posted by starfish11040 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 12:45

I would like to begin replacing the showerheads in my ten tenant's apartments with low flows.
I have hesitated to do this because I have been concerned that these low flow heads would not give as satisying a shower as the old one and so the tenant would simply replace it. That's why I would like one with good pressure and which doesn't reduce temperature as it leaves the head. Also how low can I go with the gpm without the tenants reacting?

So I think the issues are good pressure, aerated vs. non-aerated, gpm, and price (of course I want inexpensive).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want to replace 10 showerheads with low flows -recommendati

Who pays the water/sewer bill?

o

I'm the owner. I pay the water bill anf the water-heating bill.

o

There's an online review of the various ones somewhere. The good ones are around $50 as I recall. Main thing is to avoid the budget-priced Delta from the big box stores since it's quite painful (stings) to use. They won't tolerate it.

Also, avoid the ones that are so-called water-saving, but still have regular flow and save the water only by having the user shut them off "mid-shower" while they shampoo, etc. That'll never happen.

Installing flow restrictors are another way to go.

o
these look interesting

These seem worthy of some further investigation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green shower heads

o

Go to the contractor service desk at your local home depot. They have a solid brass water saver shower head that is $5.99 for a pack of two.

The first time I saw these shower heads was at a large motel near here. I asked their chief of maintenance and he told me they had installed 340 of them and have had no complaints. In fact, the guests seem to like them so much that they actually sell the shower heads in their gift shop for $10.

I have one on my personal shower and the best way I can describe the pressure is imagine you are standing under a pressure washer.

Here is a picture of the shower head.

Photobucket

You can get them at Home Depot through their commercial Maintenance Catalog at the contractor service desk and sometimes you can find them on the rack in ACE hardwares.

o

Unfortunately the item pictured might be the type that Homebound indicates causes painful stings. Kids are more sensitive. The whole thing reminds me of an incident that occurred at a family gathering a few years ago. One of the kids, about 10, who usually showers was headed for the bathtub. When asked why, he responded that he did not feel like being "power washed". We all had a good laugh.

Personally, I like them.

o

Not quite. The stinging one is the Delta Faucet 75155, 1.6 GPM Water-Amplifying Showerhead. Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta 75155

o

Check out the Delta 54752 - 1.5 gpm. Around $28 dollars. Looks nice.

Look for something with the EPA water sense logo, at least there will be some standard imposed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here