Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmstev

Sewer smell in bathroom

dmstev
10 years ago

Hi there -
I live in a 2nd floor condo with two bathrooms. There has been a persistent sewer smell coming from the master bathroom (which unfortunately has been making the room itself smell...). I've tried the following: replaced the wax seal on the toilet, snaked toilet/shower/sink (no clogs!), poured drain cleaner down shower/sink (let sit then run with hot water for ~10 min), poured bleach down drains (let sit then run with hot water for ~10 min), leave sanitizing/bleach tablet in tank of toilet in case stinky organisms were growing in there, pouring vegetable oil down drains after running hot water to help ensure the p-trap stayed full.

Here's what I really don't understand: when I removed the toilet to replace the wax seal, the smell COMPLETELY went away. As soon as I replaced the toilet, the smell came back gradually. When I did the bleach/hot water routine and topped drains off with oil, the smell went away at first but now it's back stronger than ever PLUS it smells like bleach (even though I ran hot water!). This super strong poop-chemical smell has been amplifying over the past day. I'm at the point now where I've sealed off the door to the bathroom and have the window in the bedroom open with a fan running. It's really noticeable when you first step into the bedroom, and honestly burns a little bit to breathe.

I know that the obvious answer is to get a professional out ASAP, but what I'm looking for is really just any ideas as to what could be causing this odor? Has anything like this happened to you before?

Comments (7)

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

I think the reason the smell went away when you pulled the toilet was because of "nose blindness"

Strong odors like those from sewer gas are only detectable to the human nose at low concentrations. Over a certain level, the smell is just too much for the olfactory nerve to handle, and the brain turns off the response.

• dmstev
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First, thanks for the responses! I didn't realize that about smelling sewer gas at certain concentrations, which would explain it. Also tenting each fixture is a really good idea - I *think* I have located the source - the shower drain. I didn't mention in my original post that the shower filled up with sewage about a week ago, then drained on its own. A plumber came out and said whatever was clogging the drain wasn't clogging it anymore since the shower drained on its own and that the general smell probably wasn't related to the shower (?). I noticed yesterday though that the oil I had poured down the drain was now around the edges of the shower tray, indicating to me that at some point the shower had filled again with water (no poop residue, so assuming it had to be just water/grey water), thus pushing the oil out of the drain where ever it was "stuck".

I have no idea why/how this would be happening, but today I'm going apes**t on that drain. Boiling water/drain-o/rootor again etc.

• homebound
    10 years ago

Oil? I certainly hope not.

For the sake of discussion, let's say you are pouring oil down a sink drain, then seeing it come up from the shower. That means the drains merge and that you probably have a blockage (complete or partial) beyond the shower drain.

• homebound
    10 years ago

Oil? I certainly hope not.

For the sake of discussion, let's say you are pouring oil down a sink drain, then seeing it come up from the shower. That means the drains merge and that you probably have a blockage (complete or partial) beyond the shower drain.

• dmstev
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry - that wasn't clear - I poured the vegetable oil down the shower drain. It came up from the shower drain later.

From what I've read online this morning (however credible that may be!) it sounds like there IS a blockage somewhere further along the line...if my attempts at clearing out the shower drain don't work I'll have someone come out to look at the main line.

• homebound
    10 years ago

Ok, but why are you pouring oil down any drain? Not good.